We would like to thank all our customers for all their support since we have reopened.We welcomed so many new faces along with our lovely regulars.
Our staff have worked extremely hard to adhere to all guidelines so we could make our customers and staff feel they are in a safe environment.
In line with new government restrictions we have to close our doors for 6 weeks. We can’t wait to open our doors again. See you soon. Stay Positive & stay safe.
The Bleeding Horse Team
Welcome to The Bleeding Horse
The Bleeding Horse is a historically significant public house located in Upper Camden Street, Dublin, Ireland. It dates at least back to the 17th century, and was located on St. Kevin’s Port (now Camden St.) at the junction of two important highways leading out of the city.
On one side was Charlotte St., leading to Ranelagh and Donnybrook; on the other side was Old Camden St., which joined Richmond St. and led to Rathmines and Cullenswood. Both of these old streets disappeared during the renovations in the 1990s. The present building dates from 1871; the interior was renovated in 1992.
There are (at least) two explanations for the name. One is that when a horse got the “staggers” it was bled by a farrier at the inn. Another is that the name of the pub comes from an incident during the Battle of Rathmines in 1649, when a wounded horse fled from the battle.
The Bleeding Horse has been mentioned in several classic novels, most notably the Cock and Anchor (1845) by Sheridan Le Fanu and Ulysses by James Joyce. Literary patrons included James Clarence Mangan and Oliver St. John Gogarty.
For several years during the 1960s the name of the pub was changed to “The Falcon”, but the original name was replaced in the 1970s.